It's that time of year again! Time to renew your county dog license. Below are the specifics for Franklin County Dogs:
- - All dogs over 3 months of age must be licensed.
- - Dogs over 3 months of age must be current on their rabies vaccination. You will need the rabies tag number to register your dog. (dogs under 3 months old can be licensed without the rabies vaccine)
- - Dogs over 9 months old must be spayed or neutered (unless they are used for breeding or showing, or there is a medical reason why they cannot be altered-veterinarian's signature typically required).
- - Franklin County Dog Licenses are $12.00 per dog per year
- - Late Fee of $12.00 applies after January 31st.
- - Penalty fee of $12.00 applies to unaltered dogs (this is in effort to control the pet overpopulation problem)
If you acquire a dog during the year, you must license the dog within 30 days.
If you move to Franklin County during the year and your god has a license from the previous county, Franklin County will honor that license until it expires. However, out of state licenses are not valid.
All dogs must wear their license on their collar at all times. Even though collars can slip off, this is still a means of identification for your dog. Dogs brought to the Franklin County Dog Shelter without a license on are held for 3 days before being placed up for adoption. Dogs brought to the shelter with a license on are held for 10 days.
Licenses are to be renewed between December 1st & January 31st each year to avoid a penalty. Please contact the Franklin County Auditor's office with questions at 614-525-3260. More information on dog licensing is available on their website https://doglicense.franklincountyohio.gov/dogs/menu/LicenseInfo.html
If you live outside of Franklin County, please contact your county auditor for laws and guidelines for your area.